What Causes Blindness?

Of all the blind people in the world, only about 5% were born blind; the other 95% became blind as a result of diseases or injuries to the eyes or the brain.

Although there are about 14 million people in the world who are called “blind,” there are actually many degrees of blindness. Those who are totally blind cannot even tell light from dark, while others who are partially blind may be able to distinguish light and dark, and even have a small amount of vision.

A person who has been blinded by a disease of the cornea, the clear tissue over the colored part of the eye, can have the eyes of a person dead only a few hours transplanted into his own and his sight will be restored!

About Karen Hill

Karen Hill is a freelance writer, editor, and columnist. Born in New York, her work has appeared in the Examiner, Yahoo News, Buzzfeed, among others.

Leave a Comment