The Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan may have had as many as 400,000 residents when the Spanish explorers first saw it in 1519.
It was one of the world’s largest cities at the time.
The city was founded in 1325 on two large islands in the middle of Lake Texcoco.
The Spaniards destroyed the city in 1521, but it was later rebuilt.
Some of the remaining ruins of Tenochtitlan’s main temple, the Templo Mayor, were uncovered during the construction of a metro line in the 1970s.
The Aztec sun stone, which was built around 1470 CE under the rule of King Axayacatl and weighs over 20 tonnes, was located in the ruins.